Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy 2014!!

Ah, the promise of a new year!  A fresh start, a chance to try new things, an excuse to make new types of art....  :D

HOORAY for all that!  I am particularly excited about the new year, because it is my impetus to get both feet wet in my (fairly) newfound obsession (and the whole reason for this blog) - PRINTMAKING.  :)

Yes, I know that my blog is already two months old (and thanks to my post three weeks ago, I have a lot of new followers!  Hi there!), but now that the holidays are over I can begin my new chapter in earnest.  And I thought I'd create a tiny lino for the occasion.


That's me!  :D  Oh my heavens, did I have a BLAST creating this little guy, which only measures 2X2"!  I took a photo, cropped it, and played with it in Photoshop until it looked the way I wanted it to.  Then I traced it using some Saral transfer paper, and carved it using micro tools! I 'm going to have MUY, MUY fun with this technique.  :)

So now that you know what I look like, I want to show you my new studio, which I reconfigured from a collage studio to make printmaking the primary focus.

The middle of my studio - notice that my
S.C.O.P.E backpack press has the spotlight!


Here's the studio from the back - the cabinet
on the left was built for me by my wonderful
dad in-law, and so was the book press, using
the blueprint from
Arnold Grummer's "Trash to Treasure Papermaking" book!  :)


Here's my desk, which now has stations for carving, inking,
and collage - and inspiration from some of my favorite artists!  :)















I feel ready to take on this amazing medium!  I don't quite know yet where the year will take me, but I'm so excited to learn, discover, and create, with the help of my printmaking friends!  Here's to a very fruitful 2014!  :D















4 comments:

  1. Best of the best in this new year Mel. Love the mini-lino selfie! Best wishes for moving onward and forward into the new year and medium development. Can't wait to see where this is all going. Love to you and Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! It's going to be a learning year for sure. It's exciting and thrilling! :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Kim! It's a place where I feel very at home. :) P.S. Look for a blog post very soon, all about making paper the Arnold Grummer way, specifically for printmakers! :D

      Delete